Letter from DHB CEO about investigation into Nicky's death
"I thought it was worth setting out in an email the action points that we consider arose from it.
1) Dr Tapsell will provide you with an explanation of what it means for a ward to be “closed” or “open”.
2) Dr Tapsell will check what records exist with respect to the “closing” of ward 35 during the time of Nicholas’ stay and will supply what records we have to you.
3) If you could provide a list of gaps you consider exist in the clinical file Dr Tapsell will respond to each either providing the relevant information or explaining why we don’t think it exists in the way you believe.
4) I will give further careful consideration to whether our internal investigation can be re-started while the Police are undertaking their investigation of culpable homicide.
5) In considering whether our internal investigation can restart while the Police are undertaking their investigation I will also consider whether we can continue the process to appoint a lay member of the panel.
6) I gave an undertaken that we would consult with you over the appointment of the lay member of the panel.
7) Dr Tapsell will provide a summary of changes that have been made in the service since Nicholas’ death, noting which ones were already being progressed on 9 March.
We will supply the information we have agreed to provide as we can and no doubt you will come back on item 3 in the list above."
Posted: Sat 18 Jul 2015